Happy National Cheese Pizza Day! Here are some fun facts in honor of today.
1.The word “pizza” dates back over a thousand years – it was first mentioned in a Latin text written in southern Italy in 997 CE.
via: Artist Janet Ternoff
2. The first pizza place in America was Lombardi’s in New York City – originally a grocery store, Lombardi’s started selling pizza in 1905.
3. The Hawaiian pizza was invented in 1962 by Sam Panopoulos, a native of Greece who ran a pizza place in Canada.
via: Bagel Bites
4. The inventors of Bagel Bites got the inspiration for their first recipe off the back of a Lender’s Bagel bag
5. The Super Bowl is number one pizza day in the US, followed by Halloween, the day before Thanksgiving, New Year’s Eve, and New Year’s Day.
6. There are approximately 61,300 pizzerias in the US.
7. Not surprisingly, Saturday is the most popular night to eat pizza.
8. 93% of Americans have eaten pizza sometime in the last month.
9. The world’s fastest pizza maker can make 14 pizza in 2 minutes and 35 seconds.
10. Eating pizza once a week can reduce the risk of esophageal cancer.
Sources: hungryhowies.com, mentalfloss.com, and pizza.com
Contributed by Emma Guerena, Marketing Intern Steadfast Management