Can You Ace this 10-Question AP English Test for 11th Graders?
Make your teacher proud.
1. Which of the following is NOT an oxymoron?
a. Breaking news
b. Definite maybe
c. Deafening silence
d. Good grief
2. What is a rhetorical appeal to the audience’s emotions called?
3. The emotional meaning of a word is its:
4. This is an example of which rhetorical device? “From forth the fatal loins of these two foes”
5. Which logical fallacy is “an attack on an opponent’s character rather than an answer to the contentions made” ?
a. Non sequitur
b. Straw man
c. Ad hominem
d. Slippery slope
6. The “repetition of a word of words at the beginning of successive phrases, clauses, or lines to create a sonic effect” is called:
7. This headline – “White House announces tariffs on US allies” – is an example of:
8. Jonathan Swift’s “A Modest Proposal,” in which he suggests that poor people sell their children as food for the rich, is an example of:
9. “You held your breath and the door for me” is an example of:
10. “The addressing of a usually absent person or a usually personified thing rhetorically” is called:
How’d You Do?!
Contributed by Emma Guerena, Marketing Intern Steadfast Management